a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

too much coffee man

I've had too much coffee today, it only hit me now after finally getting some supper in me. I had my customary morning cup then about 7 I had a cup with a shot of espresso in it and now I just had a little more than a half cup with dinner and I'm feeling groovy.

I've had an awesome day!

Woke up had breakfast and updated the Christian Radical Blog and checked e-mails. Last night I found I had recieved some books in the mail from a comrade in the US and that was cool. I had a shower in Samaritan House's brand new shower stall and overhead fixture! it looks DIY because it is and it has the best settings, so much better than when it would hit my back and I'd have to do some minor yoga to wash my hair.

I have been on this diet for the past month and a bit and it's really beginning to show :)

Met one of the people I'll soon be working with at Tanglewood (I start in the first Saturday in June) and made arrangements for more studio time to put the last bit of work on the Desolation Sound album and then I went thrifting.

I don't know how many people know this about me but I love thrifting. I bet you're sitting there thinking "what are you talking talking about now Chris, what's thrifting?"

Thrifting is when you go to thrift stores randomly looking for treasure. I swear by it, Value Village and the Sally Ann, Hospital thrift stores and St. Vincent De Paul are like crack in store-form. I've been on a mission for a good punk rock vest and the first thing I need is a thrashed up jacket to make it out of. I was looking for black Denim but no luck. I think I might have something which will do but that's another story I want to tell you about the Salvation Army thrift store on 12th just East of Main st.

THIS PLACE IS LIKE THE SALLY ANN MOTHER SHIP! They have a furniture outlet where they are selling upright pianos for $300 and they're not too bad either.

but the good stuff is in their "As Is Bargain Nook" or as the uninitiated might call it "the basement". They have everything that's cool in a thrift store junk bin but it's like five or six thrift store junk bins in one! the air is cool and pungent and full of the sound of many hands rifling through piles of things.

I used to imagine that there was a place where all the lost dryer socks and favourite tapes from Junior High go when they inexplicably disappear. I would imaging a subterranean world with piles of tapes and mounds of videos and boxes upon boxes of old He-Man toys anyway if such a place were to exist outside my fantasy world it would be a lot like the basement of this thrift store. I've lived in Vancouver for more than a decade now and this is the first time I've ever been to that store. I got so many awesome tapes for sampling and listening and I joy Yvonne something and I'm totally amped on this place. So far the only thrift store that's rivalled it for me is the Delta Hospital Thrift Store in Ladner and that's only because I got two Sony three channel Analog Mixers and a Pong Table there for under thirty bucks.

Seriously, glitchy Pong with a console the size and shape of a kitchen table it can't be beat, except maybe by table sized Galaga but that's not the thing you often see at thrift stores and still I look for it.

Thrifting is also useful if you know about books and what has re-sale value because you can often buy great books in good condition for a song and then sell them to used bookstores for a small profit, if you're only kind of good at this then you may end up with some books left over and enough money to break even so it helps to go for the kinds of books you'd like to have around.

I have a documentary about thrifting someplace it's really a whole counterculture thing. Unfortunatly there are all these boutique-vintage type places now where they basically go to the thrift stores, buy all the coolest shit in the place and sell it at their own stores for way too much. Imagine all the old Iron Maiden T-shirts and musty smelling Sweater Vests and rodeo belt buckles except they cost nearly as much used as they did new. I'm not a big fan of the 25 dollar second hand t-shirt. And this is why I love thrifting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home