a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

fun with real audio?

Since moving to a place where my house mates value my creativity I've started breaking out the tapes again. For those of you who don't know I am a bit of an electro-accoustic nut. I love to collect sounds and samples from various places and then when I have the right gear and friends to make noise with I'll put it together with them in the last few years I've been part of two noise and sound collage projects both unfortunatly are on hold right now. One, North is on an indefinite absence as the co-creator Spud has moved to the UK with his spouse and the other, The Empire of Crime needs tto start making stuff and doing things again because I now live only a few blocks from British Mark and have a preponderance of spare time and musical equipment. Tonight I was thinking about making a tape of percussion that I could play on a ghettoblaster to keep time durring my folk set on friday, it didn't work out and instead turned into me playing waist deep in the big muddy several times and trying to overlay them unsuccessfully, I was hoping it would come out better than it did but because of the song and the way I've taught myself to play it it sounds more like an exercise in tedium than the fun with real audio I was having.

Right now I'm listening to one of the sample tapes that I've been working on, most of it is sounds from the inside of the VAG where I took the tape recorder on a walk about the Andy Warhol exhibit last year, there's some real gold but most of it was unfortunate static, though this means that I can take the tape out and record over a bunch of things and other sounds could be used ambiently if I ever wanted to.

man I'm tired. There will be no audiotape mischief at my gig, too much work and not enough time. I wish I had my drum machine here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home