a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Wall of Voodoo

God Belss Youtube.

seriously though this site might be just about the best thing going on the web. Since I started actually using this site I've found live footage of so many bands I grew up loving but will never be able to see live. Tonight I've been watching live footage of a group called Wall of Voodoo. If you remember these guys at all it's probably for the one big hit they had, Mexican Radio. I can remember when my mom bought their album by the same name. I think I was six or seven years old and she had bought it because she had heard the song on the CBC and decided to check them out. It's really odd the way my mom does that with some bands and stranger that many of my favourite groups have made their way into my life through her.

Wall of Voodoo were really one of the strangest for sure, I never would have figured my mom to like them and perhaps this is why the tape passed so easily into my hands and stuck around, I finally lost track of it on New Years 2000 when I left it at an art squat near Main and Hastings street. Most of the bands a person likes when they're seven or so get pushed aside once you hit puberty and start trying to be cool. This only happened with Wall of Voodoo because I think I lost the tape for a while because when I found it again in highschool I couldn't stop listening to it then when I lost the tape I bought it on vinyl. They were certainly one of the most unique bands to come out of the LA punk rock scene.

I'm embedding a video clip of one of my favourite songs from them here



I changed the video above to a better live clip from the album I was writing about. One of the things I like best about this group is the way that Stan Ridgeway wrote songs, his use of narrative is something really uncommon in popular music these days. They also used to do covers of Woody Guthrie songs in their own peculiar style. They have a version of Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash that's really worth searching for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home