a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Yamaha REX 50 it's digital!



I had a pretty good pawnshop score today. I picked up a Yamaha REX 50 effects processor for $75.00 I plugged it into my polysynth (I have a weathered looking Portasound) and it's taken the cheezy discount synthesizer sounds of my keyboard and given them some much needed depth and bite. Also it looks like something New Order would have used and that thought makes me glow inside.

continuing to explore the Evolver and discovering some nice hidden things in some of the presets, you don't have to do too much to get them to sound more dynamic and it's hours of fun.

As for my Korg stuff it's still in the shop. I called Backline today to find out when it would be done and one of them is waiting on some parts. I'm not surprised VCO 2 and the KBD interface were always a bit buggy and I think there was a problem with the signal processor on it. I'm not expecting it will be very cheap if they had to order parts but I am very attached to my MS20 and Sequencer, I really think that as far as non-modular analog synthesizers go the MS20 is in a class all it's own and really represents the peak of Korg as a company. Compared to the MS2000 Analog Modeling synth and the Kaoscillator they are really more in the business of making expensive trinkets instead of really hard core and quality gear. Sure the original Kaos Pad is sweet but it's nothing to the MS line.

2 Comments:

Blogger Westcoast Walker said...

Any music that sounds like it was made by low-fi robot is fine by my standards.

That was a great find btw

1:15 AM  
Blogger Chris Rooney said...

absolutely, one of the best purchases of my life. I also recently bought an FB01 but I can't get it to trigger with my sequencer I'm going to have to hunt down my midi keyboard. because it sounds great when I play it through my Prophet 600

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home