a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

keytars rule also modular indecision time 2008



So I just found this on youtube and thought I'd share the love.

Speaking of love and the sharing of it I got me my MS20 and SQ10 back from the shop all restored and re-capped and tuned up and ready for action. created a bad-ass sounding patch with the sequencer and then I had to go to work. I am having a lot of fun with the newly restored External Signal Processor though I plugged tablebeast into it and circuit-bent my synth it sounded much nicer through the MS20 than through the Evolver. I also patched my portasound through it and have been experimenting with that too. I'm so happy to have my whole set-up back it makes me feel all awesome inside.

On a related note (no pun intended) I'm weighing my options as far as new modular equipment goes. Richard at Backline has an MOTM synthesizer that he wants to sell for 9 grand. I don't have that much but I do have three grand I've been saving for this very sort of thing. In a couple of weeks I will be able to afford a 22 space dotcom synthesizer (they make updated moog-style modular stuff) or I could go into debt and put it down on the MOTM. I suspect I'm getting ahead of myself and I'll only know how I feel about all this after playing the MOTM for myself and thinking further. I've known about this particular synth for sale for some months now and seeing as it's the owner of Backline's synthesizer I feel a lot more certain that I would get exactly what I paid for (a fully functioning modular synth with all modern modules in a 44space cabinet with another empty cabinet on to for later expansion and a whole shit load of patch cords). I don't suspect this would be a bad deal the question is more about wether I can pay it off in a reasonable time and whether I want to go into debt. a 22space dotcom isn't a bad start at all but next to this one it feels kind of like a compromise, there's also the added bonus of not having to pay shipping, duty, and freight costs and I could take it home that day instead of waiting 6 to 8 weeks for it to come up from Texas. Well, I'll be going to Backline on Saturday to try it out and find out how much Richard would want each month in payment I will suspect that he will want more than I could afford anyway but the thing is there and I would cream myself to have it so I've got nothing to loose for trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home