a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Alternative currencies rule

I just got my first paycheck today, it's good to be able to afford rent and be working someplace where I have no moral or ethical qualms with what I'm doing to earn money.

On the subject of cash I read a really interesting article in a local paper on the subject of alternative currencies. I spent the whole time wondering if the author is aware of systems like time dollars or communities like the Charlottesville Barter Network on Charlottesville VA.

The Vancouver ducat

Why can’t the City create its own money and thereby look after the poor and small businesses at the same time? Money was invented first by cities after all
By Kevin Potvin

"When you have people who want to buy things but can’t, and shopkeepers who want to sell things but can’t, economists call this situation “a lack of liquidity.”

Most people would naturally think the transaction fails to occur simply because the people who want to buy things don’t have enough money. But there is no natural reason for anyone to lack money. It costs virtually nothing to create money, regardless of the value printed on it. In fact, if you don’t use paper cash at all but rather electronic debit cards, it really does cost nothing—what is the price for making an electronic pulse? You only need to create money (out of thin air, really, by putting numbers into accounts) and distribute it to those who lack it. Voila. Now those who lack for the necessities of life can buy them, and those who want to sell things can do so too, just by the act of our creating money and distributing it to those who need it. I’ve just solved poverty. But wait, there’s more...."

http://republic-news.org/archive/148-repub/148_kevin_potvin_money.htm


On Sunday I get to start moving into my new place!
this is good news because I can't wait to stop living in other people's livingrooms and common areas it also means I'll be able to take more hours at work. yay bookstore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home