a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Monday, October 30, 2006

bah, zine, pictures, bah

I havn't been posting here very much lately. Between the book store and the zine and the other blog I've had my hands full. I've even had to take a break from playing guitar, but that's because my downstairs neighbours need their sleep at 2 a lot more than they need my bad Robert Johnson covers.

having problems with the pictures in this months issue, of course this is to be expected. Every issue brings with it fresh problems I need to solve in order to put something out, this is business as usual. I think I'm going to have to re-format all the photography from scratch (something I havn't had to do since issue 9) but This months photos are all from a night shoot I did and so the balance is totally different. I have to factor in the fact that at night it's dark out so a lot of things I could get away with in previous issues are not working like I'd hoped they would.

I think I can rectift this, and if worse comes to worse I did another shoot this evening before sunset and got some great photos I can use as my backup set.

Saturday I volunteered to work the book table for Amy Goodman's book tour stop here in Van. It was really cool to get to attend for free, get a copy signed and be able to boast that my book store (spartacus) got to do the merch at her gig. But the best part was much more unexpected. I got to meet Aaron Mate.

Aaron Mate was one of the main figures in a series of events at Concordia University in Mointreal back some years ago, involving a student uprising in protest against Israeli politician, Benjamin Netanyahu speaking at the school. There was a documentary made about the whole affair and the terible reprisals, establishment suppression of all religious expression on campus and other fucked up reactionary bulshit. The documentary is called Discordia and I'd reccomend it to any one, anyway Mate was vice president of the Concordia Student Union at the time of the protests and I guess that since then he got a job working for Democracy Now. So it was a plesant surprise to get to meet him, I think he figured it was kind of cool that someone random recognised him for what he's done. I've had it happen when I was younger and still making film and reading publically, it's kind of an ego boost anyway it was a treat for me, he was one of the people from that documentary whom I felt the most for.

so that was my weekend. I got home last night from the gig and put four hours into a version of the zine that's fit for the recycling heap but I'm not upset as I might sound. The thing that buggs me the most is that outside my room right now is a full blown kegg party and I've got work in the morning. I'll probably be able to swing it with no real problem but it's kind of annoying. ever since I went straight edge I havn't been the house party sort. I would rather watch a few movies with friends or fo to a show... better yet play a show...

...I should start playing open mics

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

got your last comment on the blog. I will totally call when I am not drowning in homework and such.

Hope you are doing fantastic,
Rob.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Chris Rooney said...

oh man

don't call me until after thursday I don't have a phone right now

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home