a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

Hebrews xiii. 2

The line came to me as I was cycling home. I've spent the better part of the past year deliberatly praying for a life in voluntary poverty and since coming home to Vancouver I have started to discover it. I seem to have much less money these days though I make more at work than I did previously, I believe am learning the value of the money I do have, though I am learning it in a difficult way.

My phone going out and other unexpected expenses have placed me in the predicament of wondering where my next meal will come from, it's not so bad as that though. I know quite a few people in this city have it worse than I do, I can always get an advance on my checque from my boss and I have a CD and guitar talent, I intend on taking my instrument and wares downtown tomorrow to see if I can busk up some cash and I do have some food in the fridge, I guess what I'm saying is that I'll make it fine if I tighten my belt a few days and thank God for the kindness of strangers.

But it's the title of this post that I want to reflect on because something really strange happened today early on in my shift.

I was settling into things at the bookstore and recoiling from the shock of finding I only have 90 dollars left to me until payday. I was feeling really low and wondering how I was going to replace my phone battery and eat on the same dime when this large man in a bulky overcoat walked into the store. He brusquely turned and after a very short glance at the bookshelves in front of him he said loudly and apropos of nothing "THE WRLD COULD USE SOME MORE LOVE IN IT COULDN'T IT?" I replied that it certainly could and he said "IT SURE COULD, SOMETIMES THE WERLD FEELS LIKE IT COULD USE SOME MORE LOVE IN IT, LIKE IT FEELS LIKE IT'S A FRIENDLY AND TERRIFYING PLACE... I MEAN IT FEELS LIKE A MEAN AND TERRIFYING PLACE SOMETIMES ISN'T IT?"

I replied that it did and couldn't help but hold back a bit of a smile, this large and simple sounding man who seemed totally out of place and uninterested in books yet guided by a benevolent hand to walk into my book store and remind me that there is still goodness after all.

I told him that I thought that was why it was important for people to try and be kind to each other and he agreed then he walked into the literature and classics section. He picked up what could have been the first book he saw and read aloud the author's name with a soft and light hearted chuckle "JANE AUSTEN" his voice smiled, then placing the book right back in it's place he came up to the desk "JAZZ BANDS USED TO BE REALLY SMALL AND THEN THEY GOT REALLY BIG. NOW JAZZ BANDS ARE REALLY BIG DON'T YOU THINK?" I replied that there were also some really small ones and told him about Jaco Pastorius, he half closed his eyes and smiled "JAZZ BANDS ARE REALLY BIG AND SOME OF THEM ARE ALSO SMALLER... THOSE MICROPHONES IN THE HANNA BARBARRA STUDIOS WERE REALLY SOMETHING WEREN'T THEY?" I replied that they must have been "YAH THEY WERE REALLY GOOD MICS THEY HAD THERE. OK, GOODBYE" and as quickly as he'd come in he left me to puzzle over our encounter for the rest of the shift.

things like that happen at my store every day, maybe not just like that but the odd people are one of the rewards of working where I do.

I think I'll be alright,
and writing about that meeting makes me smile to think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home