a journal of the one man revolution

The Revolution May Now be Synthesized

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a musician, blogger and peace activist. I live in Canada and I am a member of the Catholic Worker movement. I am not an Anglican but I no longer identify myself with Roman Catholicism and choose to worship through my art and in the Anglican church. I make industrial, experimental noise, and punk influenced blues.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I changed my mind. I don't feel like going back and cleaning up the last post you'll just have to deal with my sloppiness.

I'm in Toronto and it's almost 3am so I'll be brie. Tonight I went to see David Lynch's new film Inland Empire. This film is the fucking shit. It is a three hour long epic in avant guard cinema shot entirely in... yes folks... VODEO! affter an hour you get used to the strange graney texture of the shots and the sharp glare of the lighting, actually there are several parts of this film where Lynch makes the video stock work in beautiful and dramatic ways. The script is a mix of English and what I believe is Polish and it's filmed between LA and Lodz, Poland. The story is complex and while there is a plot it sort of walks out of the theatre to have a smoke break while the film carries on with you inside, then I think it went tro the store and bought some chocolate milk and lotto tickets before coming back into the theatre and making it's appearance in the film.

A very long time ago David Cronenberg made an adaptation of Willliam Burroughs ground breaking novel Naked Lunch, I never thought and I doubt he did as well, that someone could create a film which perfectly emulated the cut-up method which Burroughs pionered but tonight I saw it on screen. I spent the film first feeling as though I was a total outsider looking in on a world where every person is either psychotic or autistic or a halucination to watching in awe as I realise that without revealing anything of itself the film had drawn me right in, and then finally standing up at the end of the credits I felt in a total daze and walked an hour through West Toronto to get back to the Catholic Worker. If it's possible to fall in love with a piece of film I might have done just that tonight. Thats about all I can say about this movie. If you want to see something utterly unlike anything else you will ever see on a screen go go tomorrow, go tonight, go as soon as you can and watch this film you won't regret it. I've said to a llot of people that Lynch takes heavily from two other film makers; Jean Cocteau and Keneth Anger, and that their influence defines his asthetic. Watching everything he's made to this ppoint I was happy with that statement, seeing Inland Empire tonight was like watching him break his own mold and emerge from it as a consumate film maker, a master of the art worthy of succeding Ingmar Bergman, Fritz Lang, and Jean Renoire.

that's about all I've got to say right now. Toronto is a neat city, I have a new appreciation for it as an adult, walking through the run down streetcar suburbs like Parkdale is an experience unto itself.

I wish I'd had my camera.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Rooney said...

no cowboys in this one unfortunatly though there's a lumberjack in the closing credits. Laura Dern helped produce it. I think it was influenced by his work teaching film at the European Graduate School.

is it still playing in Van?

GO SEE IT!


I'm in T dot for another day and a half and then I go across the pond. I'll be taking lots of photos, who knows maybe this coming zine will have an Italian theme to it.

How've you been? How's Vancouver?

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home